The School for Undergraduate Programmes is responsible for the management of the undergraduate qualifications offered by the Faculty of Law. At this teaching-learning centre we are committed to academic excellence, have an innovative approach to the teaching of law and aim to offer high-quality instruction in law subjects at undergraduate level. However, we do not merely want to communicate knowledge on law, but strive to equip students with the necessary skills and values required to face the challenges involved in accessing the legal profession. Our object is to deliver graduates with a passion for law and justice, with social awareness, a critical orientation and integrity. That is why everything possible is done to empower and mould our students so that, as jurists, they can make a contribution to the development of society and the legal system.
The school, which is spread across three campuses, offers the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor of Arts with Law subjects (minimum period 3 years): Potchefstroom and Vanderbijlpark Campuses
- A Bachelor of Commerce with Law subjects (3 years): Mahikeng, Potchefstroom and Vanderbijlpark Campuses
- A Bachelor of Laws as first grade, the minimum duration of which is 4 years. The LLB is also offered as a second degree for students already in possession of a BA in Law or a BCom in Law: Mahikeng and Potchefstroom Campuses
Grade 12 learners
- Application period: 1 March to 30 June
- Applications of senior students from other institutions.
- The minimum requirements for the different programmes apply. Applicants who previously studied at other institutions should have passed at least 60 credits in the same academic year.
- Applicants should submit a motivation letter and previous results with their online applications.
- The Central Admission and Applications Office (CAAO) will communicate the result of your application and information on the faculty aptitude test. An aptitude test is required for all first law degrees. Please contact the CAAO directly for any application-related enquiries:
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call Centre: +27 (0) 18 299 4030/4130/4383/4263
- Information for prospective students
- Law degrees: http://law.nwu.ac.za/undergraduate-studies/programmes
- Online application: http://studies.nwu.ac.za/
- E-mail enquiries: LAW-Prospective@nwu.ac.za
Our graduates are equipped to enter any of the careers below:
• A career in legal education
• The legal profession (lawyers and advocates)
• Legal advisers
• Civil Service: lawyers, advocates, state prosecutors, magistrates, judges (with the necessary experience).